- Go to the dedicated download page.
- Select the version you want and click it (column:
- Go to the
Platform Runtime Binarysection (available in the table of contents or by adding
#PlatformRuntimeat the end of your URL).
- Click the runtime corresponding to your OS.
Something more detailed
## What Eclipse really is
Most of us perceive Eclipse mainly as a customizable IDE. That is both true and false.
Eclipse is first and foremost a plugin platform.
Yet, when you wish to download it, you can only find pre-packaged versions with loads of plugin: for Java developers, for C/C++ developers, for PHP developers, for Eclipse Committers and so on. Hence the common mistake of thinking of it as an IDE first.
Why a plugin-free Eclipse can be interesting
Many plugins do not require a full development environment, therefore why overload your system with useless features? Keep your Eclipse light (and faster to boot) according to your requirements. Having several Eclipse configurations is not a problem.
Some examples of plugins which are not necessarily meant to be part of an IDE:
- Apache Directory Studio turns Eclipse into a nice LDAP browser and directory client.
- The Memory Analyzer is useful for Java Developers who wish to analyze thread dumps.
- I used TeXlipse to make a portable editor (I will repost on this topic later).
See, the examples are numerous.
The Eclipse project download links
- For the latest stable or nightly builds, the Eclipse Project Download page is the go-to.
- If you need something older, the home page also provides a link to the Eclipse Project archived downloads page.
A way of finding the Eclipse Platform Download page
I provided a direct URL to the download page, but the Internet is moving. If it is no longer valid, here is how to find the page again:
- Go to the Eclipse home page.
- Find the
Projectlink (in the top menu bar).
- Search for the
Eclipse Platformproject and click on the “Download” icon.
- 2015-04-17: added the link to the Eclipse Project archived downloads page
Photo: Christian G, Eclipsed Eye